- It needs to be an interesting subject – not necessary useful. Something that captures the imagination of people which excludes books of fiqh!
- It needs a professional cover – this needs to be done by a professional not by you on a PC!
- Typesetting and editing – the book has to be type set or else it’s not professional.
- Good paper. - Nice quality and not too thick.
- It needs to be uniform – meaning that if it’s done in one style that has to continue throughout the book.
- Isbn Numbers - if you are self publishing
Use all the websites, facebook, other social media and blogs at your disposal.
It does help if your book has quotes from famous personalities or prefaces. This is your other most effective.
- It has to be a new text - never before translated – if it’s a new translation then it has it to better than the previous one. Unfortunately, I have done this a few times. Golden rule is: do not translate anything that has been translated because you are wasting your time.
- Likely to sell. Do not choose a book that is not meant for wide public consumption like a book on Usul Al-Fiqh
- Include footnotes and references.
- Choose the text that is going to help the most Muslims.
- Choose the translator who can do the best job. But beware you'll view the translation through his eyes, so pick one with best background in knowledge.