Wednesday, November 14, 2012
How to use leather Socks/Khuffs
How to use leather socks
The Sunnah alternative to washing feet is to wear leather socks and wipe over them. This was something that was mass transmitted by the companions of the Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him). It is a rarely practiced Sunnah that needs to be revived.
Quotes about Leather socks Khuffayan
Ali Ibn Abu Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) said, “A traveller wipes for three days and night, and a resident wipes for a day and night.” (Muslim 286).
In Shammail At-Tirmidhi he reports a Hadith that Najashi sent a pair of leather socks to the Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) who accepted and wore them. It proves the permissibility of wearing leather socks that are made from animals not slaughtered Islamically.
Hassan Al-Basri (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “Seventy men of the companions of the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) saw him wipe over leather socks.” (Imam Al-Musuli’s Al-Ikhtiyar lia’lil Al-Mukhar p.28 Vol.1).
Here is an easy guide:
1. We put them on in a state of Wudhu.
2. The wiping time is twenty four hours for a resident and seventy two for a traveller.
3. The time starts when he breaks wudhu and ends in twenty four hours if resident and seventy two hours if travelling.
4. The method of wiping is by taking their wet hand and wiping the sock from the tips to the top of the sock.
5. He wipes a minimum of the area of three fingers on the sock.
6. Both socks are wiped, right first.
7. The area that he wipes is the front or sides but not the bottom of the sock.
8. Every time one breaks wudhu the socks are wiped. The normal circumstances that cause wudhu to be repeated cause the wiping to be repeated.
1. If he takes one or both socks off he washes the feet.
2. If he comes into a state of major impurity, after marital relations, then takes the socks off and has a bath, then begins again.
3. If there are holes in the sock as long as there are no more the size of three toes then it is permissible to wipe over them.
4. Normal socks cannot be wiped over. They have to be leather socks or other socks that are similar like seal skin socks.
5. Bare feet cannot be wiped over.